Sunday, November 16, 2008

Clip! Clip! Clipmarks!

I'm sure glad that I discovered and signed up with with Clipmarks. What I like best about this service is the elements of efficiency and ease it brings to personal computer file storage and social web communications. It's fun and easy to use and saves loads of personal time.

All you need to do is download the required software, find some material of interest, and clip away to your heart's content! There are various clipping options as far as text is concerned, such as full article (ex. Top 10 Ways To Promote Your Blog ), sections of text (ex. 11 Tips for Getting Your Comments Noticed on a Popular Blog), or sentences or phrases only (ex. 10 Ways to Hurt Your Blog’s Brand by Commenting on Other Blogs). You can also clip videos, images, podcasts, or anything else you desire. Once you have produced a clipping, you can save, print, or email it. You can even post it directly to your blog. As with other Web 2.0-oriented sites, Clipmarks encourages a community of sharing among all its members with respect to their findings on the web.

As you've probably already concluded, my topic of choice is promoting the personal blog. I am in the process of starting a blog of my own about the world music scene in Boston. Now my personal files of blogging information will be much easier to read and access. No more wading through repetitive or irrelevant wordage, just to find the information I need. My fellow blogging friends, with whom I share tips, will be happier also as recipients of my more relevant and concise email messages. Furthermore, as a member of Clipmarks, I too will be the recipient of blogging tips in a more concise format as I view the clippings of others.

As far as the library website goes, Clipmarks could be a great tool for building an online vertical file of miscellanea on any topic. I'm talking scrapbook style. Think of all the wonderful elements it could include from the web like videos, podcasts, newspaper and magazine articles, digital images and more. Right now at the BPL we are digitizing all kinds of extremely rare and valuable items. What wonderful history-oriented files we could put together with samples of this imagery.

No comments: